Over twenty years ago, Nolan Ryan and several leading cattle ranchers in central Texas started a beef supply company so that every Texan could have high quality, exceptionally flavorful beef to enjoy with their friends and family. Today, Nolan Ryan Brands is one of the leading beef supply companies in Texas and is still working hard to meet this objective. Our culture consists of an ambitious and dedicated team who has a keen interest for expansion, and we are looking for someone who values teamwork, collaboration, and attention to detail as much as we do.
The person in this position is responsible for the holistic supply chain and corresponding business operations regarding sourcing, pricing, distribution, and quality assurance. The position will be responsible for all aspects of company operations; this includes securing supply of raw materials, procurement and inventory of raw materials and products, coordination with co-packers for production of products, bookkeeping and invoicing, trucking and freight, coordination of quality control and food safety issues, order fulfillment rates, selection of vendors.
- To excel in this position, an individual must be able to critically think, problem-solve, and approach decision making through data and analytics. Key responsibilities include:
Excellence in Execution
- Accountable for a team that manages the businesses day-to-day replenishment, distribution, and food safety needs.
- Utilize market reports and technology to control pricing and purchasing while also progressively making the business more efficient.
- Responsible for margin management and clearly communicating the influencing factors to the management team. This includes an ongoing focus on product and cost optimization.
- Oversee all aspects of the company’s fresh and frozen inventory, date rotation, and warehousing operations for all raw materials and finished goods.
- Further develop and execute standard operating agreements with new and existing suppliers keeping a focus on supply chain redundancy, especially as it relates to core business.
- P&L forecasting, accountability, and management.
Enhance External Relationships
- Key relationship manager for all suppliers, especially meat packers and manufacturers. This includes identifying and developing new strategic partnerships that support the needs of the business. Periodic travel may be required.
- Maintains ownership of the company’s distribution network and associated cost.
- Provide industry insight to the organization by maintaining close communication with industry contacts to stay informed on the markets.
Pursue Growth & Diversification
- Support the development of retail, foodservice, and DTC strategic business plans and position the company to execute on those plans.
- Develop new and innovative opportunities for our supply chain and distribution network that brings a competitive advantage to the organization.
- Routinely review the current manufacturing arrangement and provide suggestions for progression or cost optimization.
- Prepare and present content to the Board of Directors.
Support Culture & Collaboration
- Uphold a company culture that embodies teamwork, collaboration, and a relentless drive to always improve through motivated leadership and leading by example to clearly set the expectation.
- Collaborate with sales team to set spot and formula pricing, block buys, and long-term fixed prices that enable that company to execute its strategic initiatives.
- Proactively manage and communicate the company’s supply versus sold position across various product mixes.
- Support the company’s annual budget process.
Education and Experience
- BS or higher degree in Business Administration, Agri-Business, Agri-Economics, Meat Science, Animal Science, or Food Science.
- Minimum of 10 years of beef or protein supply chain experience
- Minimum of 5 years of management experience
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following:Verbal and Written Communication Skills
Requires the ability to effectively communicate verbally and virtually. Clarity of speech, remaining calm and focused, being polite, and making effective presentations to diverse groups.
Ability to work with mathematical concepts and apply such concepts as fractions, percentages, ratios and proportions to practical situations.
Proficiency and knowledge of Microsoft Office Products and Aspen Canopy software.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions in written, oral, diagram or schedule form.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Regularly required to stand, sit, walk, use hands and arms, talk and hear.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Nolan Ryan Brands complies with its reasonable accommodation obligations under the Americans with Disabilities Act and state law.
- Interactive and fast-paced team-orientated tasks.
- Required to wear appropriate clothing as outlined in company handbook.
Commensurate with background and experience.
If interested, please send a cover letter and resumé to:
President, Nolan Ryan Brands